- When the centurion heard this, he went to the commander and reported it. "What are you going to do?" he asked. "This man is a Roman citizen."
- The commander went to Paul and asked, "Tell me, are you a Roman citizen?" "Yes, I am," he answered.
- Then the commander said, "I had to pay a big price for my citizenship." "But I was born a citizen," Paul replied.
- Those who were about to question him withdrew immediately. The commander himself was alarmed when he realized that he had put Paul, a Roman citizen, in chains.
- The next day, since the commander wanted to find out exactly why Paul was being accused by the Jews, he released him and ordered the chief priests and all the Sanhedrin to assemble. Then he brought Paul and had him stand before them.