- But the centurion, instead of listening to what Paul said, followed the advice of the pilot and of the owner of the ship.
- Since the harbor was unsuitable to winter in, the majority decided that we should sail on, hoping to reach Phoenix and winter there. This was a harbor in Crete, facing both southwest and northwest.
- When a gentle south wind began to blow, they thought they had obtained what they wanted; so they weighed anchor and sailed along the shore of Crete.
- Before very long, a wind of hurricane force, called the "northeaster," swept down from the island.
- The ship was caught by the storm and could not head into the wind; so we gave way to it and were driven along.