- When we entered Rome, Paul was allowed to stay by himself, with the soldier who was guarding him.
- After three days Paul called together those who were the leading men of the Jews, and when they came together, he began saying to them, "Brethren, though I had done nothing against our people or the customs of our fathers, yet I was delivered as a prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans.
- "And when they had examined me, they were willing to release me because there was no ground for putting me to death.
- "But when the Jews objected, I was forced to appeal to Caesar, not that I had any accusation against my nation.
- "For this reason, therefore, I requested to see you and to speak with you, for I am wearing this chain for the sake of the hope of Israel."