- David conferred with each of his officers, the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds.
- He then said to the whole assembly of Israel, "If it seems good to you and if it is the will of the LORD our God, let us send word far and wide to the rest of our brothers throughout the territories of Israel, and also to the priests and Levites who are with them in their towns and pasturelands, to come and join us.
- Let us bring the ark of our God back to us, for we did not inquire of it during the reign of Saul."
- The whole assembly agreed to do this, because it seemed right to all the people.
- So David assembled all the Israelites, from the Shihor River in Egypt to Lebo Hamath, to bring the ark of God from Kiriath Jearim.