- Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons.
- The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.
- "Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.
- After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need.
- So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs.