- Joseph threw himself upon his father and wept over him and kissed him.
- Then Joseph directed the physicians in his service to embalm his father Israel. So the physicians embalmed him,
- taking a full forty days, for that was the time required for embalming. And the Egyptians mourned for him seventy days.
- When the days of mourning had passed, Joseph said to Pharaoh's court, "If I have found favor in your eyes, speak to Pharaoh for me. Tell him,
- 'My father made me swear an oath and said, "I am about to die; bury me in the tomb I dug for myself in the land of Canaan." Now let me go up and bury my father; then I will return.' "
- And Joseph fell upon his father's face, and wept upon him, and kissed him.
- And Joseph commanded his servants the physicians to embalm his father: and the physicians embalmed Israel.
- And forty days were fulfilled for him; for so are fulfilled the days of those which are embalmed: and the Egyptians mourned for him threescore and ten days.
- And when the days of his mourning were past, Joseph spake unto the house of Pharaoh, saying, If now I have found grace in your eyes, speak, I pray you, in the ears of Pharaoh, saying,
- My father made me swear, saying, Lo, I die: in my grave which I have digged for me in the land of Canaan, there shalt thou bury me. Now therefore let me go up, I pray thee, and bury my father, and I will come again.