- O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.
- At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it;
- If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.
- And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it;
- If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.
- "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?" declares the LORD. "Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.
- If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed,
- and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned.
- And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted,
- and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do for it.