- When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi.
- Then what was said through the prophet Jeremiah was fulfilled:
- "A voice is heard in Ramah, weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more."
- After Herod died, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt
- and said, "Get up, take the child and his mother and go to the land of Israel, for those who were trying to take the child's life are dead."