- "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
- His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
- Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John.
- But John tried to deter him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?"
- Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented.