- He replied, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.
- Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.
- This is why I speak to them in parables: "Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.
- In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: " 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
- For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.'