- After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.
- There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it.
- His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow.
- The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.
- The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified.