- When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son,"
- and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.
- Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty."
- A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips.
- When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.