- Annas the high priest was there, and so were Caiaphas, John, Alexander and the other men of the high priest's family.
- They had Peter and John brought before them and began to question them: "By what power or what name did you do this?"
- Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: "Rulers and elders of the people!
- If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a cripple and are asked how he was healed,
- then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed.