- Then the high priest asked him, "Are these charges true?"
- To this he replied: "Brothers and fathers, listen to me! The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham while he was still in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran.
- 'Leave your country and your people,' God said, 'and go to the land I will show you.'
- "So he left the land of the Chaldeans and settled in Haran. After the death of his father, God sent him to this land where you are now living.
- He gave him no inheritance here, not even a foot of ground. But God promised him that he and his descendants after him would possess the land, even though at that time Abraham had no child.
- The high priest said, "Are these things so?"
- And he said, "Hear me, brethren and fathers! The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran,
- and said to him, 'LEAVE YOUR COUNTRY AND YOUR RELATIVES, AND COME INTO THE LAND THAT I WILL SHOW YOU.'
- "Then he left the land of the Chaldeans and settled in Haran From there, after his father died, God had him move to this country in which you are now living.
- "But He gave him no inheritance in it, not even a foot of ground, and yet, even when he had no child, He promised that HE WOULD GIVE IT TO HIM AS A POSSESSION, AND TO HIS DESCENDANTS AFTER HIM.