- From Troas we put out to sea and sailed straight for Samothrace, and the next day on to Neapolis.
- From there we traveled to Philippi, a Roman colony and the leading city of that district of Macedonia. And we stayed there several days.
- On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer. We sat down and began to speak to the women who had gathered there.
- One of those listening was a woman named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth from the city of Thyatira, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul's message.
- When she and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home. "If you consider me a believer in the Lord," she said, "come and stay at my house." And she persuaded us.