- When they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a Jewish synagogue.
- As his custom was, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures,
- explaining and proving that the Christ had to suffer and rise from the dead. "This Jesus I am proclaiming to you is the Christ," he said.
- Some of the Jews were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, as did a large number of God-fearing Greeks and not a few prominent women.
- But the Jews were jealous; so they rounded up some bad characters from the marketplace, formed a mob and started a riot in the city. They rushed to Jason's house in search of Paul and Silas in order to bring them out to the crowd.