- Once safely on shore, we found out that the island was called Malta.
- The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold.
- Paul gathered a pile of brushwood and, as he put it on the fire, a viper, driven out by the heat, fastened itself on his hand.
- When the islanders saw the snake hanging from his hand, they said to each other, "This man must be a murderer; for though he escaped from the sea, Justice has not allowed him to live."
- But Paul shook the snake off into the fire and suffered no ill effects.