- For in Scripture it says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame."
- Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, "The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone,"
- and, "A stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall." They stumble because they disobey the message--which is also what they were destined for.
- But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
- Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.