- Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.
- Then I turned my thoughts to consider wisdom, and also madness and folly. What more can the king's successor do than what has already been done?
- I saw that wisdom is better than folly, just as light is better than darkness.
- The wise man has eyes in his head, while the fool walks in the darkness; but I came to realize that the same fate overtakes them both.
- Then I thought in my heart, "The fate of the fool will overtake me also. What then do I gain by being wise?" I said in my heart, "This too is meaningless."