- I have seen another evil under the sun, and it weighs heavily on men:
- God gives a man wealth, possessions and honor, so that he lacks nothing his heart desires, but God does not enable him to enjoy them, and a stranger enjoys them instead. This is meaningless, a grievous evil.
- A man may have a hundred children and live many years; yet no matter how long he lives, if he cannot enjoy his prosperity and does not receive proper burial, I say that a stillborn child is better off than he.
- It comes without meaning, it departs in darkness, and in darkness its name is shrouded.
- Though it never saw the sun or knew anything, it has more rest than does that man-