- And whoso shall swear by the temple, sweareth by it, and by him that dwelleth therein.
- And he that shall swear by heaven, sweareth by the throne of God, and by him that sitteth thereon.
- Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
- Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
- Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.