- There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
- The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
- Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
- Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
- Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
- Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council.
- He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."
- In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."
- "How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"
- Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.