- The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
- Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
- Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
- But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
- The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.
- "Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water?
- Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?"
- Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again,
- but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
- The woman said to him, "Sir, give me this water so that I won't get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water."