- Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
- The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
- Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
- He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the LORD shall have them in derision.
- Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.
- Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain?
- The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the LORD and against his Anointed One.
- "Let us break their chains," they say, "and throw off their fetters."
- The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them.
- Then he rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,