- There is an evil which I have seen under the sun, and it is common among men:
- A man to whom God hath given riches, wealth, and honour, so that he wanteth nothing for his soul of all that he desireth, yet God giveth him not power to eat thereof, but a stranger eateth it: this is vanity, and it is an evil disease.
- If a man beget an hundred children, and live many years, so that the days of his years be many, and his soul be not filled with good, and also that he have no burial; I say, that an untimely birth is better than he.
- For he cometh in with vanity, and departeth in darkness, and his name shall be covered with darkness.
- Moreover he hath not seen the sun, nor known any thing: this hath more rest than the other.
- 就是人蒙 神賜他貲財、豐富、尊榮、以致他心裡所願的一樣都不缺、只是 神使他不能喫用、反有外人來喫用．這是虛空、也是禍患。