- "Woe to you, blind guides! You say, 'If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but if anyone swears by the gold of the temple, he is bound by his oath.'
- You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred?
- You also say, 'If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but if anyone swears by the gift on it, he is bound by his oath.'
- You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred?
- Therefore, he who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it.