- It happened that as we were going to the place of prayer, a slave-girl having a spirit of divination met us, who was bringing her masters much profit by fortune-telling.
- Following after Paul and us, she kept crying out, saying, "These men are bond-servants of the Most High God, who are proclaiming to you the way of salvation."
- She continued doing this for many days. But Paul was greatly annoyed, and turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her!" And it came out at that very moment.
- But when her masters saw that their hope of profit was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the market place before the authorities,
- and when they had brought them to the chief magistrates, they said, "These men are throwing our city into confusion, being Jews,