- "And as I punished them often in all the synagogues, I tried to force them to blaspheme; and being furiously enraged at them, I kept pursuing them even to foreign cities.
- "While so engaged as I was journeying to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests,
- at midday, O King, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining all around me and those who were journeying with me.
- "And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew dialect, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.'
- "And I said, 'Who are You, Lord?' And the Lord said, 'I am Jesus whom you are persecuting.
- And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities.
- Whereupon as I went to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests,
- At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.
- And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
- And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.