- I said to myself, "Come now, I will test you with pleasure. So enjoy yourself." And behold, it too was futility.
- I said of laughter, "It is madness," and of pleasure, "What does it accomplish?"
- I explored with my mind how to stimulate my body with wine while my mind was guiding me wisely, and how to take hold of folly, until I could see what good there is for the sons of men to do under heaven the few years of their lives.
- I enlarged my works: I built houses for myself, I planted vineyards for myself;
- I made gardens and parks for myself and I planted in them all kinds of fruit trees;