- Then the LORD said to Joshua:
- "Tell the Israelites to designate the cities of refuge, as I instructed you through Moses,
- so that anyone who kills a person accidentally and unintentionally may flee there and find protection from the avenger of blood.
- "When he flees to one of these cities, he is to stand in the entrance of the city gate and state his case before the elders of that city. Then they are to admit him into their city and give him a place to live with them.
- If the avenger of blood pursues him, they must not surrender the one accused, because he killed his neighbor unintentionally and without malice aforethought.
- Then the LORD spoke to Joshua, saying,
- "Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'Designate the cities of refuge, of which I spoke to you through Moses,
- that the manslayer who kills any person unintentionally, without premeditation, may flee there, and they shall become your refuge from the avenger of blood.
- 'He shall flee to one of these cities, and shall stand at the entrance of the gate of the city and state his case in the hearing of the elders of that city; and they shall take him into the city to them and give him a place, so that he may dwell among them.
- 'Now if the avenger of blood pursues him, then they shall not deliver the manslayer into his hand, because he struck his neighbor without premeditation and did not hate him beforehand.