- Joseph died, and all his brothers and all that generation.
- But the sons of Israel were fruitful and increased greatly, and multiplied, and became exceedingly mighty, so that the land was filled with them.
- Now a new king arose over Egypt, who did not know Joseph.
- He said to his people, "Behold, the people of the sons of Israel are more and mightier than we.
- "Come, let us deal wisely with them, or else they will multiply and in the event of war, they will also join themselves to those who hate us, and fight against us and depart from the land."
- Now Joseph and all his brothers and all that generation died,
- but the Israelites were fruitful and multiplied greatly and became exceedingly numerous, so that the land was filled with them.
- Then a new king, who did not know about Joseph, came to power in Egypt.
- "Look," he said to his people, "the Israelites have become much too numerous for us.
- Come, we must deal shrewdly with them or they will become even more numerous and, if war breaks out, will join our enemies, fight against us and leave the country."