- Jacob lived in the land where his father had stayed, the land of Canaan.
- This is the account of Jacob. Joseph, a young man of seventeen, was tending the flocks with his brothers, the sons of Bilhah and the sons of Zilpah, his father's wives, and he brought their father a bad report about them.
- Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made a richly ornamented robe for him.
- When his brothers saw that their father loved him more than any of them, they hated him and could not speak a kind word to him.
- Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers, they hated him all the more.