- For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing.
- Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.
- Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.
- For this, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
- Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.