- and he said, "When you are helping the Hebrew women to give birth and see them upon the birthstool, if it is a son, then you shall put him to death; but if it is a daughter, then she shall live."
- But the midwives feared God, and did not do as the king of Egypt had commanded them, but let the boys live.
- So the king of Egypt called for the midwives and said to them, "Why have you done this thing, and let the boys live?"
- The midwives said to Pharaoh, "Because the Hebrew women are not as the Egyptian women; for they are vigorous and give birth before the midwife can get to them."
- So God was good to the midwives, and the people multiplied, and became very mighty.