- "I happened to be on Mount Gilboa," the young man said, "and there was Saul, leaning on his spear, with the chariots and riders almost upon him.
- When he turned around and saw me, he called out to me, and I said, 'What can I do?'
- "He asked me, 'Who are you?' " 'An Amalekite,' I answered.
- "Then he said to me, 'Stand over me and kill me! I am in the throes of death, but I'm still alive.'
- "So I stood over him and killed him, because I knew that after he had fallen he could not survive. And I took the crown that was on his head and the band on his arm and have brought them here to my lord."