- Now Joseph and all his brothers and all that generation died,
- but the Israelites were fruitful and multiplied greatly and became exceedingly numerous, so that the land was filled with them.
- Then a new king, who did not know about Joseph, came to power in Egypt.
- "Look," he said to his people, "the Israelites have become much too numerous for us.
- Come, we must deal shrewdly with them or they will become even more numerous and, if war breaks out, will join our enemies, fight against us and leave the country."