- Do not stare at me because I am dark, because I am darkened by the sun. My mother's sons were angry with me and made me take care of the vineyards; my own vineyard I have neglected.
- Tell me, you whom I love, where you graze your flock and where you rest your sheep at midday. Why should I be like a veiled woman beside the flocks of your friends?
- If you do not know, most beautiful of women, follow the tracks of the sheep and graze your young goats by the tents of the shepherds.
- I liken you, my darling, to a mare harnessed to one of the chariots of Pharaoh.
- Your cheeks are beautiful with earrings, your neck with strings of jewels.