- The sea was getting rougher and rougher. So they asked him, "What should we do to you to make the sea calm down for us?"
- "Pick me up and throw me into the sea," he replied, "and it will become calm. I know that it is my fault that this great storm has come upon you."
- Instead, the men did their best to row back to land. But they could not, for the sea grew even wilder than before.
- Then they cried to the LORD, "O LORD, please do not let us die for taking this man's life. Do not hold us accountable for killing an innocent man, for you, O LORD, have done as you pleased."
- Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm.