- These were the men appointed from the community, the leaders of their ancestral tribes. They were the heads of the clans of Israel.
- Moses and Aaron took these men whose names had been given,
- and they called the whole community together on the first day of the second month. The people indicated their ancestry by their clans and families, and the men twenty years old or more were listed by name, one by one,
- as the LORD commanded Moses. And so he counted them in the Desert of Sinai:
- From the descendants of Reuben the firstborn son of Israel: All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, one by one, according to the records of their clans and families.