- The elder, To the chosen lady and her children, whom I love in the truth--and not I only, but also all who know the truth -
- because of the truth, which lives in us and will be with us forever:
- Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father's Son, will be with us in truth and love.
- It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us.
- And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another.