- In the days when the judges ruled, there was a famine in the land, and a man from Bethlehem in Judah, together with his wife and two sons, went to live for a while in the country of Moab.
- The man's name was Elimelech, his wife's name Naomi, and the names of his two sons were Mahlon and Kilion. They were Ephrathites from Bethlehem, Judah. And they went to Moab and lived there.
- Now Elimelech, Naomi's husband, died, and she was left with her two sons.
- They married Moabite women, one named Orpah and the other Ruth. After they had lived there about ten years,
- both Mahlon and Kilion also died, and Naomi was left without her two sons and her husband.